Saturday, April 19, 2008

Pvt George Wicker Scutt 16th N.Y.Cavalry grt-grt-grampa

16th New York Cavalry, Co. C. Libby Prison 18 oct 1864 26 jan 1865

Pvt George Wicker Scutt born 21 mar. 1830 Alburgh, Vt. son of George Scutt and Mehitable Reynold, died 29 Dec 1902 Tupper Lake,New York married 19 Jan 1851 , Elizabeth Rhodes born 1 May 1830 South Hero, Clinton Co. New York, died 10 nov 1906 Norwood, New York

George, his story, life, and sacrifices he and his family made. Born in Alburgh,Vt his father was
17 years old when george was born, he was a sailor on Lake Champlain, his mother was 45 years old. She had been married before and had at least on son who our subject refered to as 1/2 brother. the father died 12 Feb 1839 leaving George 9 years old, the 1/2 brother plus a full brother Reynold who was 5 years old and a sister Emilia Stoughton born two months before the father died. We will leave the family at this point and pick it up in another post.

The mother had the children with her in the 1850 census when George was 20 yrs old also a sailor on Lake Champlain. Charlott Scutt

In 1851 he met and married Elizabeth Rhodes her parents were
covered in a previous post.
They started a family with Charlott bn 16 feb 1852, George bn
3 nov 1855, Mary bn 27 Mar 1858, Carry 6 sep 1860, Selah
bn 9 jan 1863. About this time Elizabeth's mother was having
trouble on the farm so George and her bought out Elizabeth's Sister
Sarah's share in the farm and moved in to help his mother in law. by
Mid summer, his time was up he enlisted in the 16th Cavalry Co.C.
1 sep 1864. life was going to change very rapidly now.
8 sep 1864 ordered to appear Hart Island New York Harbor, he just got a uniform no time to get it adjusted to fit 19 sept 1864 at Annandale,Va. replacement Depot, more equipment and a horse,and he is off to Wolfrun,Shoal,Va., to late for action but on the 22 Sept 1864 he is at Culpeper,Va. , still held in reserve. Near Lewinsville,Va. first skirmish, then on to Salem & White Plains, Va. and the realization of death and battle makes a warrior out of him fast. A few days to recover from the shock and all is going well when all hell broke loose on the 18th near Fall Church,Va. in a split second he was cut off from the unit and he and 3 other men were taken prisoners in a split second. The four were dismounted and disarmed, marched for several hours
carried of to Richmond, there they were placed on the second floor of a old brick warehouse,
which they soon learned was "Libby". They
thanked god they were not wounded. Not that
it mattered much as they were about to find out.
Rations were bad and in only a few days they also
joined the others with bowel complaints. It was
late fall and the nights were cold, the uniforms
were wool but they had no heavy coats and not
enough blankets to go around. little did they now
that by December they would be carrying out men who had frozen to death. The Chaplin Henry Bown wrote on 20 Jan 1865 and informed the commondant that there was no wood and reported what was happening but apparently nothing was done as he wrote again in a few days.
By now George was in pretty bad shape he had
acute Estacarditis, the only good thing was he
would now be on the exchange list, if he did not
freeze to death before. on the morning of 4 feb
1865 without any notice he was taken out in the
yard with others and transported to a place
called Aikens Landing,Coxes Wharf,Va. Sick, and
weak from constant diarrhea he was loaded on a boat like this and transported to a small town,
Parlo, near Annapolis , from there on 17 feb 1965 he was sent home to Saranac N.Y. on a 30 day furlough to recover. When he arrived at home he was told of the several barrels that the family had packed with food and warm cloths and sent of to him in "Libby" but of course he never received any of it. I can recall my grandfather telling the stories his mother Charlott Scutt Olyer had told him about the smoked meat and salt pork they had wrapped with wool blankets, the soft soap , and canned food that they so carefully packed for George.

While he was home on leave he continued to get sicker and had to have a local doctor submit letters for extensions of leave until he could travel back to Annapolis Va. 19 Jun 1865, he was discharged on 29 jun 1865.

In Georges pension papers it is noted he never drank, from 1889 he had reached a point were his health was so bad he could not work. It is interesting they outlined his history in a letter and then declined his request. He must have reapplied as there is a note that last payment $12.00 was paid Oct 1902. His wife has a pension of $8.00 applied 1903 Jan 15th and paid until Oct 1906

After George came back from service he and elizabeth had two more children: Ulysses Leslie Scutt 26 Oct 1867, and Sadie 2 July 1871. This Sadie is the person who sent me all the correspondence and information about the family.

My grandfather used to say the confederates took 3 of the family prisoners George Scutt held at Libby, John Lasher held at Andersonville, and Daniel Lord married Virginia girl.


Rosebud Collection said...

When I read what these people went through, it make you realize how easy we have it..Good read, as usual.

Miriam said...

An interesting story! Like you, I had a family member imprisoned at Libby, Sgt. Angelo Crapsey.